— Extinction Rebellion Dorking (@xrdorking) June 18, 2019
The following motion has been submitted by Councillor Claire Malcomson and seconded by
Councillor Clayton Wellman:-
CLIMATE EMERGENCY MOTION
Council recognises that:
1. The consequences of global temperatures rising above 1.5 degree Celsius are so severe that
preventing this from happening must be humanity’s number one priority.
2. All governments (national, regional and local) have a duty to limit the negative impacts of an
increasingly erratic climate and biodiversity loss. Local authorities that recognise this should not
wait for the national government to change its policies.
3. It is important that all organisations commit to carbon neutrality, as soon as possible.
4. Mole Valley District Council is uniquely placed to lead the way to a sustainable future by setting
an example in the area
5. Bold action to mitigate changes in climate can deliver economic benefits, for example new jobs,
savings and market opportunities, as well as improved personal, social and environmental wellbeing, for people locally and world-wide.
Council therefore resolves to:
1. Declare a Climate Emergency.
2. Pledge to make Mole Valley District Council and its contractors carbon neutral by 2030, or
earlier if possible, taking into account both production and consumption emissions.
3. Lobby Surrey County Council and the Government to provide resources that will make possible
the 2030 target date set by scientists for total carbon neutrality.
4. Work cross-party within Mole Valley District Council, and with local businesses, land owners,
community organisations and residents to make a positively beneficial impact on the
environment and biodiversity in the District.
5. Place climate change on agendas to be discussed at appropriate committees – to build
strategies and action plans with timescales.
6. Report actions undertaken to address this emergency to Council twice a year and inform
Council of planned actions for the next period.
7. Use these actions to help create jobs and a stronger community, along with increased wellbeing and a sustainable future.